Sunday, December 28, 2008

More Valentine Cards

I'm on my way to creating Valentine cards! I've been making Christmas cards since July, and am definitely Christmas'd out! I've already starting pulling out my Easter stamps too!

This card evolved on it's own, and I'm happy with the results. Usually, I have a plan in my head and my creative process follows that particular idea. To say that this card misbehaved the whole time I was making it, is an understatement!

I had no intention of using brown in this card as it was going to be a Valentine card with the typical red/pink combination. I picked out a pretty design from the Bella Rose papers of Stampin' Up!, and a fabric button brad from K & Company. Somehow they would be combined to make a Valentine card.

Then I was stumped and started rummaging around my craft treasures and found a square paper lace doily. At first I folded all the square points into each other which gave me a pretty starting point. I cut my Bella Rose paper to fit inside the small lace square which showed through, making the lace more distinct.

I did not like all the lace, so I cut two ends, so that some of the paper would show, but it looked "empty". I grabbed a Martha Stewart punch and punched the edges which gave it a pretty effect.

I still wanted to use that fabric button brad, so back to my stash I went. I found some fabric flowers I had purchased from Michael's and inserted the button brad through the center. Attaching it to the card, it looked lost and lonely. Back to my stash, and I came across a package of die cut glittery hearts of all sizes from K & Company that I had purchased last Valentine's.

I searched through those hearts and the brown swirly glittery heart looked great against the flower, thus the brown! I added the heart, a brown checked bow, and a small tag with a gold peel off sentiment that I had colored with a brown Sharpie marker. Lastly, I mounted this to a dark brown card, size 5 1/2 x 4 3/4.

My next card was a little more simple and went according to that plan. I chose another paper from the Bella Rose set and punched the edges with a Fiskars corner edge punch.

Using my new Rectangle Nestabilities (a gift I gave myself for Christmas) I cut out coordinating scalloped and straight edge rectangles. (The largest does match, it just didn't photograph well!)

I stamped "Love" in red ink (a dollar bin stamp from Michael's) on the white piece and used a random swirl stamp on the corners.

Another lace heart doily, a fabric brad button and matching fabric flowers brought this card together. I added a ribbon bow on the corner to balance the card.

Size 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 inches.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate the time you take to visit my blog and leaving your thoughts!